Wimbledon 2022: World No. 10 Matteo Berrettini has withdrawn after testing positive for Covid-19. The last year’s finalist said he is heartbroken after the unforeseen setback.
Dream is over this year: Berrettini withdraws from Wimbledon after positive Covid test (AP Photo)
- Matteo Berrettini tested Covid positive on Tuesday
- The Italian had reached the men’s singles final last year
- Berrettini had not lost a match on grass this season
Last year’s finalist Matteo Berrettini said on Tuesday, June 27 that he withdrew from Wimbledon 2022 after testing positive for Covid-19. Berrettini took to Instagram to share the ‘heartbreaking’ update with his fans and followers hours before his scheduled first-round men’s singles match on Court 1 in London.
Matteo Berrettini’s positive Covid-19 test comes a day after former finalist and former US Open champion Marin Cilic pulled out due to Covid-19.
Berrettini said he had been in isolation for the last few days despite having only mild symptoms and a test on Tuesday morning came positive for Covid-19.
“I am heartbroken to announce that I need to withdraw from Wimbledon due to a positive Covid-19 test result,” Berrettini said.
“I have had flu symptoms and been isolating the last few days. Despite symptoms not being severe, I decided it was important to take another test this morning to protect the health and safety of my fellow competitors and everyone else involved in the tournament.
“I have no words to describe the extreme disappointment I feel. The dream is over for this year, but I will be back stronger,” he added.
Notably, Berrettini had established himself as a strong contender for the Wimbledon title. The World No. 10 successfully defended the Queen’s Club title after beating Filip Krajinovic in straight sets in the final in June.
Berrettini became the first man in the Open Era to win the Queen’s Club in his first two appearances at the ATP 500 tournament. Notably, Berrettini has won 3 of the last 4 finals on grass court with his only defeat coming in the Wimbledon final in 2021 wherein he was outclassed by Novak Djokovic.