Wimbledon 2022: 2017 champion Garbine Muguruza failed to go beyond the first round after losing to Belgium’s Greet Minnen 4-6, 0-6 on Wednesday.
Garbine Muguruza. Courtesy: AP
- Muguruza lost to Greet Minnen in the first round of Wimbledon 2022-06-30
- Muguruza also made an opening-round exit at Roland Garros
- Muguruza won the Wimbledon back in 2017
Former World No.1 Garbine Muguruza was devastated after she made an early exit in the ongoing edition of the Wimbledon. In her first round match on Wednesday, June 29, the 28-year-old lost 4-6, 0-6 to Belgium’s Greet Minnen without much of a fight.
The champion of the 2017 Wimbledon women’s singles title looked completely out of sorts. As the match progressed, Muguruza kept going down the barrel. Minnen converted five out of eight break points against her to catch her napping.
After bowing out of the grass-court tournament at SW19, Muguruza said that she has found it extremely tough over the last few months due to constant defeats, pressure and frustration.
Even in the French Open last month, Muguruza failed to go beyond the first round, losing to Estonia’s Kaia Kanepi at Court Simonne-Mathieu.
Muguruza said that despite putting in the hard yards, the fact that she failed to progress at the Roland Garros and SW19 shattered her.
“These last six months have been very hard. Dealing with defeats, frustration and pressure. Competing in RG and Wimbledon, tournaments that I love, with all the preparation and effort that my team has made, not finding my tennis has been emotionally, a very hard blow,” Muguruza was quoted as saying on Thursday, June 30.
“To my followers and those who place their expectations on me, [this is] just to say that I’m sorry and I hope that the remaining six months of 2022 are more bearable and I can at least find those good feelings again,” she added.